Marine radios provide boaters the most effective and reliable communication when on the water. VHF radio communication is essential during emergencies and is often superior to cell phones. They can also be helpful in a number of other non-emergency scenarios like securing a transient slip at a destination marina. The variety of radios available can be confusing and their use can be intimidating. This course will teach you how to choose the proper Marine VHF radio for your boating style and give you the confidence to operate it effectively.
With this online seminar, you will learn how to:
- Determine what features a marine radio needs for your type of boating
- Make and receive routine and emergency radio calls
- Use Digital Selective Calling (DSC)
- Obtain and use a Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI) number for your boat
- Make your transmissions clear and understandable
- Follow protocol and practice proper radio etiquette
All About Marine Radio ~ Choosing and Using a VHF Radio for Your Boat was developed by members of US Power Squadrons. Members of US Power Squadrons, of USCG Auxiliary, and of the Great Lakes Cruising Club are eligible for discounts on the course price.
The United States Power Squadrons is offering members of the United States Power Squadrons, Canadian Power Squadrons, US Coast Guard Auxiliary, Great Lakes Cruising Club and BoatUS members 20% off this course. Click below to get your promo code: